The Schreyer Honors College website defines both the mission and the vision of the program.
It aims to promote the values of
- Achieving academic excellence with integrity
- Building a global perspective, and
- Creating opportunities for leadership and civic engagement.
This mission, in turn, complements a vision
- To educate men and women who will have an important and ethical influence in the world, affecting academic, professional, civic, social, and business outcomes.
- To improve educational practice and to be recognized as a leading force in honors education nationwide.
The Schreyer Honors College at Berks adheres to the same mission and values.
To help students reach the goals of this mission, Schreyer Scholars meet with an Academic Adviser and the Honors Coordinator at the beginning of each year to develop an academic plan that best suits these goals while also meeting each student's intellectual interests and ambitions. Students are introduced to opportunities for leadership, service, and international study. They enroll in honors courses with research-active faculty who take both teaching and advising seriously. Students are encouraged to gain research experience through independent study and internships both on and off campus.
Schreyer Scholars at Berks are awarded Boscov Scholarships for their outstanding academic achievements and commitment. They are recognized at the Penn State Berks Awards Ceremony, where, as graduating seniors of this university-wide program, they are formally presented with an embossed Scholars Medal. Their diplomas also indicate successful completion of the program with an official honors designation.
For those interested in applying, please see http://www.scholars.psu.edu/future/.
Current Schreyer Scholars, please see http://www.scholars.psu.edu/students/ for the handbook, forms, and other important links.
Dr. Sandy Feinstein