The Exercise Science option at Penn State Berks offers Kinesiology background and applied experience in fitness assessment, sports science and healthy living practices. Students can matriculate in the Business Emphasis or the Science Emphasis.
The objective of this option is to prepare students with a broad knowledge base, practical experience and communication skills for careers in exercise science and wellness. Graduates will be able to scientifically assess fitness levels of individuals. Analyzing these assessments, graduates will then be capable of designing and implementing appropriate exercise programs. Through conducting and analyzing scientific research, graduates will be able to provide evidence-based support for appropriate exercise programs.
The Business Emphasis includes kinesiology courses and basic business skills in accounting, marketing and management. Completion of this Emphasis will lead to a minor in Business degree. This unique combination will enable graduates in this field to compete for employment in the corporate fitness arena, sports management, private fitness clubs, community-based fitness organizations, hospital and university settings or, possibly, operate their own wellness consulting company.
The Science Emphasis is designed to prepare students for advanced study in graduate schools and related medical fields. This emphasis gives students the opportunity to accumulate credits in kinesiology and basic science courses such as biology, chemistry and physics. Graduates will be prepared to enroll in physical therapy schools, chiropractic schools, athletic training programs and medical schools.
- Unique program in science of movement
- Applied study in a practical setting
- Flexibility to focus on basic business skills or science knowledge
- Student-centered learning (and small class sizes)
GraduationUpon graduation, students can expect to:
- Be employed in the following professions:
- Exercise specialist or personal trainer
- Athletic club manager
- Fitness instructor
- Sporting goods store management
- Hospital cardiac rehabilitation department
- Physical therapy technician
- Pursue graduate degrees in physical therapy, kinesiology, athletic training, medical schools and chiropractic schools.
For more information, contact the program coordinator: Dr. Benjamin Infantolino (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For admissions information, contact the Berks Admissions Office at 610-396-6060.
- B.S. Kinesiology