|The First Year Seminar is a requirement for all new baccalaureate
degree students at Penn State.
The First-year seminars have two overarching goals:
- Students must take a first-year seminar (FYS) within the
first two semesters of enrollment.
- First-year seminars are either identified by the course abbreviation "PSU
005" or by the suffix "S, T or X."
- FYS are normally taught by full-time faculty and the class size
is limited to about 20 students.
- engage students in the scholarly community
- introduce students to the faculty
to achieve these goals include:
- Introducing students to university study and to Penn State
as an academic community.
- Acquainting students with learning tools and resources.
- Providing opportunities to develop academic relationships
with faculty and peers.
- Introducing responsibilities as members of the community.
The sites linked to this webpage provide resources to students and
faculty at the Berks College.
you have questions about the FYS, please contact the First-Year
Seminar Coordinator for the Berks College.
Tami Mysliwiec, Ph.D, Associate Professor of Biology, L17, Phone: