15-credit program for adult students
Apply courses toward a bachelor's degree
About the Program
- This program is designed for working adults who are currently employed in the information technology field or have a strong background in IT and familiarity with computer networking.
- Persons who lack a background in networking will be encouraged to enroll in IST 220 Networking and Telecommunications in advance of or concurrently with enrollment in the certificate courses.
- Persons with little or no background in IT will be encouraged to enroll in IST 110 Information, People, and Technology, in addition to IST 220.
- You can apply all of the courses, including the prerequisites, toward either the bachelor of science degree in information sciences and technology or the bachelor of science degree in security and risk analysis.
Core Courses (Required)
- SRA 111 Introduction to Security and Risk Analsis (3 credits).
- SRA 221 Overview of Information Security (3 credits)
- IST 451 Network Security (3 credits)
- IST 452 Legal and Regulatory Environment of Privacy and Security (3 credits)
Elective Courses (Choose One)
- IST 402 Emerging Issues and Technologies (Web and E-Commerce Security) (3 credits)
- IST 454 Computer and Cyber Forensics (3 credits)
View course descriptions (PDF)
All courses will be offered in the evening, but not all courses will be offered each semester. Courses will be offered during fall and spring semesters only. Information security-related IST and SRA courses approved by the College of IST to substitute for IST 402 will be considered as an elective upon their availability. Students can complete this certificate over three to five semesters.
To apply as a nondegree student, you will need to complete a short application form (PDF). However, if you wish to pursue a degree option, you can apply separately for admission prior to or concurrent with enrollment in the certificate program. For information on admissions, visit www.bk.psu.edu/admissions.
For more information, contact:
Abdullah Konak, Ph.D., firstname.lastname@example.org, 610-396-6310
Walt Fullam, email@example.com, 610-396-6223
- Adult Learner Programs
- About our Non-credit Programs
- Career Development