About the Program
The ESL program offered in cooperation with the University of Turabo, has been developed to meet the needs of educators interested in acquiring a broad knowledge base to work with students who have limited proficiency in the English language. View a video about the program »
Additional Information: M.Ed. in ESL
University of Turabo's English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
The University of Turabo's ESL Program is held at two sites: Penn State Berks and Lebanon High School. The program focuses on second language acquisition, methods of teaching, communication skills, and reading processes. It will allow participants to:
- develop strategies for working in a multicultural education environment
- support students with limited English proficiency
- design, implement, and evaluate different models and educational structures supporting the teaching of ESL
- work with information technology in the implementation of curriculum
Who Should Enroll?
- The program is designed for classroom teachers who hold the Instruction I or II permanent certificate, and for teachers holding Instruction I or II certificates who wish to specialize in ESL.
- Teachers enrolling in courses in this program should have teaching experience.
- Proficiency in a second language is not required.
Students must earn 39 credits to complete the ESL program. A minimum of six credits or two classes each semester are offered by the University of Turabo and Penn State at several locations in Eastern Pennsylvania, allowing students to complete the program in less than three years. Classes meet on weekends during the academic school year and in the summer.
Teachers participating in the program will, upon completion of the 39 credits, 1) receive a Master's Degree in Education in Teaching English as a Second Language from the University of Turabo, and 2) will have completed a Pennsylvania Department of Education approved Program Specialist: English as a Second Language Certificate.
Need more information?
For more information, please contact Walt Fullam, Director of Continuing Education at Penn State Berks, 610-396-6223, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Penn State Berks
P.O. Box 7009
Reading, PA 19610
- Adult Learner Programs
- About our Non-credit Programs
- Career Development