Postdoc, Molecular Oncology, 1996, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Phila. PA
Ph.D., Genetics and Molecular Biology, 1992, Drexel University, Phila., PA
B.S., Biology, Minor Chemistry, 1986, University of New York, Plattsburgh, NY
Previous Employment and Experience
1999 - Assistant Professor of Biology at Penn State University, Berks - Lehigh Valley College
- Teach Biochemistry (BMB401 and BMB402)
- Teach Biochemistry Investigations (Laboratory - BMB342)
- Teach Introductory Biology and accompanying labs
- Teach first year seminar (DNA and society)
- Conduct research on the molecular interactions of the bacteriophage, SP10, and the host cell, Bacillus subtilis
1997 - 1999 Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology, Swarthmore College
- Taught courses for microbiology professor on leave 1997 - 1998
- Advanced Microbiology Seminar
- Taught courses for cell biology professor on leave 1998 - 1999
- Cell Biology
- Tumor Biology
- 1995 - 1997 Instructor of Biology, West Chester University
- Taught General Biology for majors
- Taught Advanced Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Taught General Biology Laboratory (non-majors)
Awards and Honors
Faculty Research Award. Swarthmore College 1997
Mentor - American Society for Microbiology (ASM) undergraduate research fellow -1998 (N. Hanson and A. Tischler, Swarthmore)
Mentor - Merck undergraduate research fellow - 1998 Yvonne Lee, Swarthmore College
Mentor - Howard Hughes Medical Institute - summer 1998 A. Pitman, Strah-haven HS, S. Solomon - Chester HS
NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship - Structure function analysis of arg/abl chimeric proteins - 1993 to 1996
Hahnemann University Graduate School, Honors for Outstanding Academic Performance in Microbiology and Immunology 90/91
Young Researchers Grant, Eastern Pennsylvania Branch, American Society for Microbiology, 1991
Who's Who in American Universities and Colleges Among Students, 1991
Hahnemann University, Sigma Xi - Certificate of Recognition for Research, 1990
Professional Organizations and Activities
Member Sigma Xi - 1990
Association of Women in Science (AWIS) - member since 1996
American Society of Microbiology (ASM) - member since 1988
National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) - member 1999
1994 Avidon Appel 1996: Beaver College, PA summer research at Fox Chase Cancer Center
1997 Rebecca Riskey and Catherine Lane, Swarthmore College, PA "Prevalence of antibiotic resistant organisms"
1997 - 1998 My Phuong Nguyen, Swarthmore College, PA "Characterization of Soj: interaction of SoJ and Spo0J"
Nathaniel Hanson, honors student (ASM fellow) Swarthmore College, PA
"Characterization of Spo0J: DNA binding potential and role in chromosomal partitioning"
Anna Tischler, honors student (ASM fellow) Swarthmore College, PA
"Analysis of the spore-converting bacteriophage: SP10 - in search of a spo0J homolog"
Yvonne Lee , honors student (Merck Fellow) Swarthmore College, PA
"Role of spo0J in the pathway of initiation of sporulation in Bacillus subtilis."
1999 - 2000 Neil Patel, Penn State University - Berks Lehigh Valley College - Berks Campus
"Isolation of bacteriophages in common soil microorganisms"
David Ott, Penn State University - Berks Lehigh Valley College - Berks Campus
"Mapping SP10 chromosome using gel electrophoresis"